In a press event with Daniel Ek, Lars Ulrich and Sean Parker, Spotify last week previewed a host of planned new social features designed to enhance the discovery and sharing of music via its streaming service, including:
- A Follow-tab whereby users can follow music recommendations from artists, friends and media
- A Discover-tab which will make intelligent music recommendations based on listening history, followed artists and friends
- Audio-preview which will allow users to preview music without disturbing current streaming activity
- New Collection which will enable users to more easily save music to listen to at a later date
- Mobile push-messaging for new album releases
New features will be rolled out in desktop update in the coming weeks, with a full cross-platform coming update next year.
Spotify made the announcements in a live streamed press conference hosted by CEO Daniel Ek who was joined by Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich and Napster founder Sean Parker. Watch the video here.