The Music Managers Forum, Music Publishers Association & MMF Training are pleased to announce that their joint Artist / Music Management Professional Development Programme commences again on Monday July 8th 2013. Guest speakers to be announced soon.
All modules are stand alone, but collectively the Programme provides a wide-ranging analysis of all the issues, challenges and practical opportunities facing those involved or interested in artist management services today. For further information about each module, see below.
VENUE: PRS for Music Boardroom, 6th Floor, Copyright House, 29-33 Berners Street, London, W1.
HOW TO BOOK: Places are limited. We strongly advise booking your place early by contacting email@example.com.
FEES (per module 6.30-9.30pm, including tea/coffee)
MPA/MMF members & PRS for Music staff: £33.33 plus £6.67 VAT = £40.00 per module
AIM, APRS, BASCA, BPI, IAMA, MPG members: £50.00 plus £10.00 VAT = £60.00 per module
Non-members: £66.67 plus £13.33 VAT = £80.00 per module
Presented by the MMF, MPA & MMF TRAINING , supported by PRS for Music
Module 1: Monday 8 July 2013
Artist/Producer/Management Business Models & Agreements plus Mediation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
Tim Clark – ie:music is a long-standing MMF Board member. Tim established ie:music in 1992 with co-founder David Enthoven, representing Robbie Williams, Ladyhawke, Jake Emlyn, Hero Fisher, Louis Schoorl and Passenger. Associated companies include This Is Music Ltd. (management & label services for electronic artists and DJs) and ie:inertia. Tim is a long-standing MMF Board member. Starting his career at Island Records, Tim has been fortunate to work with some of the greatest artists of the past five decades. Tim and David’s mantra is well-known: “the artist and the fan are the two most important parts of the music industry, everything else is just the gloop in the middle”!
Carol Crabtree – also an MMF Board Member, Carol founded Solar Management in 1993, having started a career in artist management in 1989. Solar Management represents an impressive & diverse roster of successful Artists, Producers, Remixers, Songwriters & Composers (including Nigel Godrich, Zero 7, Four Tet, David Holmes, Louis La Roche, Jim Eliot and many more – see full details at www.solarmanagement.co.uk)
Dennis Muirhead – Muirhead Management, Rightster and Association of Cambridge Mediators. Co-founder and Founding Chairman of the MMF, inducted into the British Music Roll of Honour in 2008 with over 30 years’ experience of managing record producers, artists and songwriters to date (clients include Hugh Padgham (The Police, Sting, Phil Collins, Genesis, XTC, Split Enz), Eddy Offord (Yes. ELP, John Lennon) Nick Patrick, John Brand, Robin Millar, Bobby RS Field and Billy Swan in Nashville, Pete Brown and James Pryce. Lawyer and business consultant Dennis Muirhead is an experienced Commercial Mediator, specialising in the music industry. Dennis is passionate about mediation – a subject all professionals working in today’s music business need to know and understand! Mediate, DON’T litigate!
Paul Crick – Harbottle & Lewis (Associate). Music industry clients range from multinational corporations to start-up businesses; established & up and coming recording artists plus TV and film production companies. Paul joined Harbottle & Lewis in 2010 and is particularly interested in new music.
Module 2: Monday 5th August 2013
Artist Development & Business Administration / Money Management &
Alternative Sources of Finance
Module 3: Monday 2nd September 2013
Fan Base Development & Management / Music Media, Marketing & Promotion
Module 4: Monday 30th September 2013
Artist Licensing, Merchandising, Endorsements & Brand Partnerships
Module 5: Monday 28th October 2013
Live Music & International Touring
• Management Duties & Obligations
• Building the Live Team (Local to International): what to expect & key issues to be aware of
• Booking Agencies; Festival & Concert Promotion: traditional relationships & new partnerships
• Media Rights, Brands, New & Existing Revenue Streams / Opportunities
• Budgeting, Negotiation & Cash Flow: key issues, terminology & where the money goes
• Tour & Production Management: documentation, logistics & predictable problems
• Ticketing Strategies & Database Marketing
• Deals & Agreements: key terms & conditions, implications & issues in all relevant contracts / agreements
Module 6: Monday 25th November 2013
The Record Business: Update & Agreements (Artist, Distribution, Licensing &
• The Recording Industry: current & future structures
• Roles, Activities, Rights & Income Streams: record companies & labels; music content & brand development
• Project Strategies & Management: Schedules, Budgets, Campaigns & Co-ordination
• Producer & Performer Rights Management in the Digital Age: NROs, direct & collective licensing; standards & identifiers
• Artist, Production, Licensing, Marketing & Distribution Agreements
• Guidelines & Options for all Key Issues, Terms & Conditions in Contracts negotiated
For more details visit mmf-training.com.